Wrapping up another year and thought I’d give you an update on some of the good things happening on the Susquehanna Warrior Trail.
- Our annual 5K Race/Fun Walk hosted 305 participants.
- The first 8K race sponsored by The Susquehanna River Runners Club was held on the trail with proceeds donated to our organization.
- Conal Herron achieved Eagle Scout status by constructing monarch butterfly gardens along the right-of-way in Canal Lock Park in West Nanticoke. (picture)
- This year a second group of Lake Lehman high school students volunteered on the trail as their senior project.
- We participated in the Keystone Active Zone program (KAZ) again this year.
- We applied herbicide to the trail surface twice this summer.
- With the help of a little tractor with a brush hog and a donated lawnmower we are reclaiming the trail shoulders. (picture)
- We have started cutting previously fallen trees further back from the trail. (picture)
- We experienced our first case of bulk trash dumping this fall just down river from the Shickshinny/Mocanaqua Bridge. The good thing is that it was cleaned up with the help of
the Lake Lehman students . (picture, one of several piles)
- Wayne and Sue Wolfe from Five Mountain Hardware in Shickshinny sponsored our porta-potty at the Union Township Boat Launch for the whole season.
- Trail use counters have been installed and we are evaluating the data in cooperation with other Wyoming Valley trail supporters.
- We are working to complete all prerequisites for new trail construction in 2016.
I hope to see you on the trail!
Susquehanna Warrior Trail Council President